DeKalb, IL Counseling for Depression at Braden Counseling Center
Life can be a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, not every day promises happiness. When you begin to feel that just getting out of bed in the morning is the biggest chore you will face, there is something wrong. Do not struggle alone. The local counselors for depression at the Braden Counseling Center in DeKalb, IL can help you now.
We are here to tell you, there is a better way. We offer solutions to your most difficult situations, whether you want to see us individually, as a couple, or as a family. Our goal is to teach you new skills to replace the old, to help deal with the destructive behaviors that have been clouding your daily life.
How Will Depression Affect You?
Everyone feels sad or blue sometimes. It is a normal emotion in reaction to situations all around us. However, when feelings of sadness and hopelessness linger, disrupting daily life, it is time to seek help. Depression can cause people to lose interest in everyday things, including interests that have previously made you happy but no longer occupy a special place in your heart.
Be wary of advice that it is just a passing phase or that it will get better on its own. While this is sometimes the case, other times getting help is necessary. At the very least, it can ease the process of recovery, or confirm that you are essentially okay. With one small phone call to our counselors for depression at our DeKalb office, you will be on your way to finding out what is wrong and fixing it.
A Checklist of Common Symptoms of Depression
- Sad or empty mood– All day long, you feel sad or unwilling to face anything that comes along. Teenagers often exhibit this mood as anger and irritability.
- Loss of interest– People and activities that always interested you no longer do so.
- Weight change– You may have put on or lost a significant amount of weight without dieting. This is likely to be evident to your family and friends.
- Sleep issues– You might be sleeping too much or not sleeping well at all.
- Changes in appetite– You may no longer be enjoying food at all, or you might notice that you are gorging on unhealthy foods.
- Agitation and restlessness– You may even experience feelings that your body movements have slowed.
- Guilt– Significant guilt over past events is a common trigger for depression and a sign of its continuance.
- Lack of concentration– Concentrating can become very difficult when depressed. It may feel like you are experiencing what is known as “brain fog.” Making a decision can become a momentous task.
- Negative thoughts– When depressed, negative thoughts can crowd your mind, and you may have great difficulty “turning them off.” These thoughts could be about yourself or others.
- Feelings of worthlessness– Another common sign, low self-esteem can afflict depression sufferers day and night.
- Unexplained aches and pain
- Suicidal thoughts– If you believe that your life is not worth living anymore and have been thinking about death or suicide, contact your local crisis center immediately. Do not wait for our office to open.
Depression is a very serious issue, one that can affect you and can last for years. Our counselors will help you understand what you are going through and that you are not alone. Note that depression is often expressed in different ways in children, teens, men and women.
Children and teens, for example, often act out as grouchy, angry, and irritable. For men, depression may show up as anger, aggression, and substance or alcohol abuse. Because men tend to have difficulty expressing emotions, they typically manifest depression in their actions.
Because depression can last for months or years, it has the potential to become a very destructive force. The counseling for depression and anxiety services we have at our DeKalb, IL location will help you to identify factors that might have led to these feelings.
Once we have accurately diagnosed your depression, counselors will work with you towards a solution. They provide individual, family, or couples therapy to help you better understand the causes of, and solutions for, depression. Their goal is to rid you of destructive behaviors by replacing them with new skills that will empower you.
What Our DeKalb, IL Counselors for Depression Offer You
- Flexible scheduling that includes evenings. Because not everyone is available during the day, we work with you to find the right times for you.
- A free initial consultation. Come in and talk with one of our DeKalb, IL counselors for depression.
- Counseling and medication services. Sometimes, counseling is all you need to turn your life around. At other times, additional help is needed, such as medications that can make all the difference.
- Verification of your insurance benefits. You will know what to pay each and every time you visit us.
- Cash and credit card payments make it easy to book your appointments.
- Same-day DUI evaluations.
When you seek professional help, be sure it is with someone that you trust. Counseling for depression is one of many disciplines we treat at our counseling center in DeKalb. We know how important good mental health is, and no one should have to suffer through another day of depression if they do not have to.
You and your counselor will work together to determine which treatment methods will be best for you. Those with less severe symptoms often make great progress with a therapist through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) alone. This approach changes ineffective and destructive ways of thinking, feeling, and acting.
The most important thing is that you (or someone you know suffering from depression) gets better. For more information on depression and how our depression counseling can help, contact our DeKalb office right away, or one of the other locations we have at Braden Counseling Center. Our staff is trained to help you to recognize what is wrong, and we will work with you until every day is a brighter day.